Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Day Nine: Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Tuesday, July 29th (Evaluation)
Written by Felicia Geronimo

We got to sleep in today!  YAY!  This gave us enough energy to continue with our agriculture work.  Before we began, we started the day off with sharing how were we all feeling.  Then, we were given time to work on our Voltra Evaluation forms.  


One of the participants had gotten bitten while harvesting rice in Long Valley.  Bird recommended she go to the nearest clinic/hospital to get it checked out.  She left and the rest of us went to work.  Sadly, I was still feeling ill from the day before and my back was spazzing out.  So, I stayed inside for light duty cleaning in the living/sleeping/eating area to clean up trash, pick up dishes and take to kitchen, dust, sweep and mop the floors.  When those who went to the clinic got back we had lunch.  This gave us time to pull out the durian that was purchased yesterday for Stephanie’s birthday.  We put a birthday candle on top of the durian that played the tune to “Happy Birthday”.  It was my first time trying durian.  It wasn’t that bad!  I had no clue what was in store for dessert later.  




 Then, we got ready for the Farewell Party dinner.  Miho, Stephanie and I worked on cleaning and chopping up all of the vegetables for the Hot Pots.  We had squash, cucumber, sprouts, baby corn, a plethora of mushrooms, tofu, daikon, and kimchi that was used as the soup base.  When everybody arrived we all brought tables inside to put the hot pots on.  We gathered all of the cut up vegetables for everybody to add at their leisure.  It was nice.  It gave us the chance to stand and walk around the table to talk and eat repeatedly.  It felt more like a second welcoming party then a farewell party.  It was like a fun evening with friends.





For the student who got the bug bite, I think her antihistamine was making her groggy, so she passed out on the couch early sleeping next to her elevated puffer fish of a hand. L  But, we still had time to wind down and enjoy desert together.  This was a mango dessert and a durian dessert.  Holy Cow!  I am not joking when I say that I thought someone farted before I realized what the actual smell was.  I stood up to go to the restroom and smelled it.  I looked and saw some bowls with dessert in them.  Stephanie smiled and said I LOVE DURIAN.  Then, it clicked.  That’s what that horrific smell was.  The sweet-sweet stench of ripe durian.  I tried it once.  Didn’t quite like it.  But, the taste lingered.  So, I tried it again.  This time.  I like it.  So, I had a little bit before I took a shower and went to bed.  I had THE WORST burps in my entire life all night and all the next morning.  Happy Birthday Stephanie!  BURP!     

No comments:

Post a Comment